About the District
Willamalane Park and Recreation District maintains and operates five recreation facilities and 46 parks and natural areas totaling nearly 1,500 acres. Highlights include 10 waterfront areas and 29 miles of hiking and biking trails. Willamalane offers recreation programs to people of all ages and abilities. Created by voters in 1944, Willamalane is a special tax district, separate from the city of Springfield, with its own boundaries. It is governed by a five-member, elected board of directors and managed by an executive director.
To deliver exceptional parks and recreation to enrich the lives of everyone we serve.
- Willamalane actively listens and responds to the community, which in return trusts and supports the district.
- Willamalane’s excellence in developing and maintaining parks, facilities, open spaces, and programs draws recognition locally and nationally.
- Willamalane exemplifies outstanding leadership by effectively managing and leveraging resources; promoting innovative practices; creating and maintaining strong partnerships; and recruiting highly motivated professional staff.
- We welcome and provide a safe atmosphere for all.
- We care that our employees have high job satisfaction, whether they work with us temporarily or over the course of a career.
- We commit to being transparent and effective in delivering value to the community, through our own activities and in partnership with others.
- We believe that the District provides more than space and activities: we provide healthy settings to relax and build shared memories that strengthen bonds within families, among friends, and across differences. This is why we exist.
- We commit to upholding high-quality standards for parks, facilities, and programs throughout the District: we will model wise stewardship of facilities and natural resources.
We are Respectful
- We treat our community members, partner organizations, and coworkers with dignity.
- We address problems in a solution-oriented manner.
- We take responsibility for our actions and help others without judgment.
- We practice empathy and self-awareness.
We are Engaged
- We define and celebrate our “WHY.”
- We encourage fun, energy, and creativity.
- We seek input to improve our output.
- We are all active participants in making our workplace better.
We are Collaborative
- We trust ourselves in others’ capabilities.
- We win, lose, and learn together.
- We practice humility and seek continuous improvement.
- We’ve got this (WE can find solutions).
We are Safe
- We value everyone’s physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
- We have zero tolerance for unsafe behaviors.
- We commit to leaving our work environment as good or as better as when we started.
- We maintain a work environment that promotes health, wellness, and balance.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Values
- We value all unique identities and perspectives within the organization and community.
- We value the human right to feel safe and respected in the workplace, parks, facilities, programs, and open spaces.
- We value the need to ensure all of Willamalane’s programming and services are inclusive, equitable, and accessible to all.
- We value feedback from Willamalane staff and community members and acknowledge that by listening, staff can instill affirmative changes.
- Maintain the balance between high quality and quantity of services within existing resources.
- Adjust and deliver services to reflect community expectations, new growth, available resources, and evolving needs.
- Pursue and build partnerships within all sectors of the community to help deliver quality recreation and park services.
- Commit to a work environment that promotes trust, respect, open communication, and teamwork between all levels of staff.
- Advocate for and provide parks and natural areas, walking and biking trails, and connections to waterways, while respecting private property rights.
- Be environmentally responsible in all that we do.
- Incorporate new and innovative strategies in program delivery, operations, and meeting community needs.