Michael Wargo became Willamalane’s superintendent in 2018. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Health, Physical Education and Recreation from The College of New Jersey and a master’s degree in Education and Sports Management from East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania. He has more than 25 years of experience in athletics, parks and recreation having worked in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Lousiana prior to moving to Oregon in 2016. He enjoys exploring the Pacific Northwest with his wife, two sons, and three dogs.
As Superintendent, Michael oversees Willamalane's district vision, legislative affairs, and organizational structure. Willamalane staff are supported by taxpayers and governed by a five-member Board of Directors.
Recreation Services Division
Jase Newton became the Recreation Services Direction in 2020. The Recreation Services division encompasses:
- Aquatics programming located at Splash! at Lively Park and Willamalane Park Swim Center. These facilities house swim lessons and water exercise opportunities.
- Special Events, including annual flagship events such as MEGGA Hunt, Children's Celebration, and Haunted Hayride.
- Youth Programming, such as preschools, school-age care, summer camps, sports, and enrichment classes.
- Adult programming, such as arts, language, fitness classes, trips, and senior services.
- Community Engagement, which creates the Park & Recreation Guide, markets programs, and manages the website.
- Customer service and volunteer services.
Planning, Parks, and Facilities
The Planning, Parks & Facilities division encompasses:
- Natural resource stewardship and maintenance of 46 parks and natural areas totaling nearly 1,500 acres, with 10 waterfront areas, 29 miles of hiking and biking trails, 4 synthetic sports fields and 27 playgrounds.
- Care and maintenance of five recreation facilities: Two pools, two community centers, and a mini golf park.
- Planning and development work with district residents and regional agencies to meet the park and natural area needs of our community.
Eric Adams became the Parks, Planning & Facilities Director in 2018. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science from Northern Arizona University and a master’s degree in Urban and Regional Planning from Minnesota State University. He has had more than 20 years of experience in land use planning and urban development prior to joining the Willamalane team in 2017. Eric’s passions include cycling, running, and enjoying the natural beauty of Oregon with his family.
The Business Operations division encompasses:
- All budget and financial activity, including the annual budget.
- Human resources, including recruitment, hiring, and benefits administration. All available positions are posted on the website.
- Information services, including the district's hardware and software needs, electronic archives, registration database, and wi-fi network.
- Risk management, including occupational and program safety instruction and mitigation of safety issues.